Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bought some Droids

Well, I am happy to say that my wife and I both are happy owners of Motorola Droids. And I can honestly say from both my experience so far and what I've heard from my wife that we are both very happy.

I'm not going to get in to a big review on the Droid because trust me there are plenty out there. But as I said in my prior blog I was really stuck in a dilemma as to whether or not to get the Droid or wait for the Nexus One or Incredible.

The reason we finally pulled the trigger on the Droid is this:
1) At the time I'm writing this there is still no 100% guarantee as to when the Nexus One or Incredible are coming out. Though I'm seeing from a lot of sources the Nexus One will be next week it's still not gospel.

2) Bang for the buck: We both knew that we were going to stay with Verizon. Where we live and travel they generally have much better signal then AT&T or Sprint. So we didn't mind signing a new contract with them. That being said with our new contract we basically are getting one of the two Droids for free. That was a big deal to me. I knew the Droid would do what I needed in a smart phone and my wife who is not so much on the technical side is really interested in starting to get that way. She's a nurse and she has friends that have either Iphones or other types of smart phones with all kinds of cool nursing apps and she felt that she wanted to give that a try. So getting a deal where one phone would be free was definitely an incentive.

3) The screen: It's a little large screen then the Nexus One. Not much but if you search around the web you'll find that it's enough to make a difference when looking at web pages. Also the screen type on the Droid is supposed to be much easier to see outside. I watched couple videos and saw that the Droid next to the Nexus One there was a noticeable difference outside. Which mattered quite a bit to me as I plan to use mine for GPS related stuff and also I'm a big outdoors person and I will definitely have the phone with me.

As I use the phone more I'll be sure to share anything that I come up with. But in the end when it came to buying these phones yesterday I just knew that I'd had enough with my old smart phone which was costing me $30 extra a month to have a data plan on a phone that I had no interest in using. So it was time for a change. No the hardware may not be quite what the Nexus One is (at least without overclocking after rooting) but I don't really care. From where I came from it's a dream and in another year there will be phones out that will make the Nexus One and Incredible look slow.

Being happy and productive was the end result of this choice.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome :-) There are some really cool phones out there now. This is so much better than the bad old days, when our choices were "this crappy phone" or "that crappy phone" or "that other super expensive phone from Japan that doesn't work in America but does everything except slice your bread for you".

    And of course now, phones in Japan slice your bread AND butter it. /sigh

    ReplyDelete