Thursday, June 24, 2010

Reminiscing of an older age of computer games - Part II

Well....I thought I'd moved on from this subject that I posted back in April but something in me this morning made me just do a quick Google for Kings Quest. Let me just say I came back with much more then I had planned on.....

For starters I found a website named Sarien.net- Instant adventure gaming. Let me just say that this is flippin' sweet. They have the following classic adventure games all available to play right on their website:
  • Gold Rush
  • Kings Quest I, II, III
  • Leisure Suit Larry I
  • Police Quest I & II
  • The Black Cauldron
  • Sarien Studio
I've already tried out Police Quest for a little to long today. It is just out right amazing. I did run in to a couple small bugs but nothing that disturbed game play. Heck from what I've read on their website there is even multiplayer they've added to these old games so that you can see other players playing the game and talk to each other. Plus you can change to different avatars. The people over at Q42 (the makers of Sarien.net) did an amazing job porting these games to the web. I definitely give my kudos and recommend any of my readers to take some time and read the "about" section of their site and how these ports came to be. Sounds like a really awesome company.

Also, I just found another site that is dedicated in taking the old Sierra classics and remaking them with a change to graphics & sounds/speech: AGDInteractive Studios.

From what I've seen so far they have Kings Quest I & II, and also Quest for Glory II. They also have an in house title named Al Emmo and The Lost Dutchmans Mine. I only had a few minutes to try Kings Quest I but it seemed very nicely done. I'm looking forward to digging more in to their ports as well.

I just cannot express how happy I am to see these classics sticking around so many years later and am very appreciative of all the hard work the people of these companies have done to keep them alive.

Let me know what you think of these....maybe we'll meet up on some online Police Quest or something :)

No comments:

Post a Comment